The Librarian Influencer of the Week is Sarah Jones from Justin Elementary in Northwest ISD in Dallas/Fort Worth part of Texas. She just wrapped up her 1st year as a school librarian with 18 years total in education.
You can find the podcast on my podcast page, your favorite podcast player, or by visiting this link http://laurasheneman.libsyn.com/a-first-year-librarian-with-a-5-year-plan-with-sarah-jones
In this podcast Sarah recalls many lessons learned and shares her accomplishments during her first year in the library.
- She inherited one of the oldest libraries in her district.
- She needed to revamp the whole program, including her collection which was over 20 years old.
- She reorganized the library to be more user-friendly.
- Her priority was building relationships.
- She came to realize that not everything will be perfect. And that’s OK!
Here are a couple of Librarian Influencer strategies Sarah shared:
- She uses a variety of strategies to network with teachers.
- She saw a huge increase in her circulation during one semester!
- She supported teachers as they adopted 1:1 chromebooks.
- Her 5 year plan helps guide how she will meet all her goals.
These are some professional technology resources Sarah uses to stay sharp as a librarian:
- Lucy Calkins writing resources - https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3ALucy+Calkins&s=relevancerank&text=Lucy+Calkins&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1
- School Library Program: Standards and Guidelines for Texas https://www.tsl.texas.gov/sites/default/files/public/tslac/ld/schoollibs/costforstandards/School%20library%20program%20standards%20Final%20Version.pdf
My chat with Sarah was so inspiring - a first year librarian with a 5 year plan!
You can follow Librarian Influencer Sarah Jones at:
Twitter: @jonessarah005 https://twitter.com/jonessarah005
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I'll be adding some bonus episodes and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes or subscribe through your favorite podcast provider.
I’d be very grateful if you left me a review, too. It will help other people find my podcast and it'll also be fun (and instructional!) for me to read.
Just click here to review in iTunes or in your podcast provider and select “Ratings and Reviews” then“Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Thank you and visit www.laurasheneman.com to learn more about becoming a Librarian Influencer!