The Librarian Influencer of the Week Susan Grigsby began her library work as a library clerk and then moved on to being the librarian. She has worked with libraries at a religious day school, middle school, district library coordinator, and now at an international school!
You can find the podcast on my podcast page, your favorite podcast player, or by visiting this link http://laurasheneman.libsyn.com/a-you-a-river-or-a-rock-with-susan-grigsby
In this podcast Susan recalls many lessons learned and shares her accomplishments during her first year in the library.
- Libraries were her second career in life and she immediately felt at home!
- Infusing information literacy with curriculum was a hot topic!
- Flexible scheduling would allow for more meaningful collaboration with the teachers.
- Learn to speak the language of the other educators on campus so you can use your library program to solve problems the other educators have.
Here are a couple of Librarian Influencer strategies Susan shared:
- It’s important to teach skills in context.
- Lead from the middle - we see all students weekly and as they progress through the grades at our campus.
These are some professional resources Susan uses to stay sharp as a librarian:
- Doug Johnson Blue Skunk Blog - http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/
- Reimagining Library Spaces: Transform Your Space on Any Budget by Diana Rendina ISBN-13: 978-1564843913
- Author: Donalyn Miller (The Book Whisperer, Reading in the Wild)
- The Third Teacher ISBN-13: 978-0810989986
My chat with Susan was very interesting and intriguing to see how she moved from library clerk to international school librarian.
A personal message from Susan:
“I would also advise new librarians to join their state school library association as well as ALA and AASL. For those interested in honing their technology skills, membership in ISTE is a good value. Also, they will get some great information and/or support by following the Facebook groups I’ve listed below:
- FutureReady Librarians
- The School Librarian’s Workshop
- Learning Librarians
- Int’l School Library Connection (for those that might be interested in international teaching; job postings start up every year in early October)”
You can follow Librarian Influencer Susan Grigsby at:
- Twitter:@sksgrigsby https://twitter.com/sksgrigsby
- Email: email@example.com
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I'll be adding some bonus episodes and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes or subscribe through your favorite podcast provider.
I’d be very grateful if you left me a review, too. It will help other people find my podcast and it'll also be fun (and instructional!) for me to read.
Just click here to review in iTunes or in your podcast provider and select “Ratings and Reviews” then“Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Thank you and visit www.laurasheneman.com to learn more about becoming a Librarian Influencer!